Why do I need to see a hygienist?
Posted 6th June 2016
Hygienists are registered dental care professionals who play a vital role, alongside dentists, to keep your mouth, teeth and gums healthy. It is important to see the hygienist as well as the dentist to prevent and minimise damage to your teeth and gums.
Here are seven good reasons to see a hygienist:
- For a thorough clean – hygienists will give your teeth a thorough clean including all the bits you find hard to reach
- To remove plaque and tartar to prevent build ups causing further damage
- For advice on how to keep your teeth clean and your mouth healthy
- For guidance and checks on how any medical conditions you have may impact on the health of your tweet and gums
- To discuss how lifestyle factors can affect your oral health, for example diet and smoking.
- To treat and prevent gum disease
- To prevent the need for more expensive restorative treatments – think of a visit to the hygienist as an investment in the health of your teeth and gums, their advice and treatments can reduce or prevent the need for more costly dental interventions. Over the years we have found that those patients seeing the hygienist on a regular basis are more likely to not need fillings and even if they do the cavities are very small.
Why not ask about our Denplan Essentials plans that allow you to spread the cost of your routine hygiene and dental examinations.
There’s more information here about our hygienist services.