Love your teeth this Valentine's Day
Posted 7th February 2018
Love is in the air this month and we're sharing our ten top tips to keep your mouth healthy and kissable ahead of Valentine’s Day.
- Brush your teeth twice a day for two minutes.
- Use a toothpaste that contains fluoride, which strengthens tooth enamel and helps to prevent decay
- Treat yourself to a new toothbrush. As the bristles wear on old brushes they become less effective and can attract bacteria.
- Make sure you clean in between your teeth every day using dental floss or an interdental brush.
- Limit sugary snacks to mealtimes to reducing the number of times your mouth has to deal with excess sugar
- Chew sugar free gum after your valentine’s dinner to neutralise acids and keep your breath fresh
- Drink sugary and acidic drinks through a straw to reduce their contact with your teeth
- Giving a gift this year? – how about flowers instead of chocolates?
- Hot date? - don’t be tempted by off-the-shelf tooth whitening kits or unlicensed therapists to brighten your smile. These are likely to be ineffective or at worse – dangerous. Only dentists offer the safest and most effective treatments
- Book a check-up with your dentist. Regular visits help catch problems early and can identify potential issues for treatment