Don’t ditch your dental new year resolutions
Posted 17th January 2018
It’s the time of year when a lot of New Year promises are abandoned, but improving your dental health is a new year resolution that’s easy to keep throughout 2018.
Here’s our 5 top tips on keeping a healthy smile all year
1. Floss regularly – flossing at least once a day helps remove harmful bacterial plaque and food fragments from between your teeth. A toothbrush can’t reach all around your teeth and flossing is the only way to reach into that space.
2. Avoid smoking – If you’ve resolved to quit, then keep going. Smoking damages every part of your body, including your teeth. If you smoke then you are more at risk from oral cancer, gum disease and tooth loss.
3. Book a regular dental check-up – regular visits will keep your mouth healthy and help avoid future issues. Worryingly, a quarter of adults haven’t visited their dentist in the past two years. Don’t be one of them!
4. Avoid sugary snacks – hopefully all the Christmas chocolates have gone, but if not make sure you only eat sugary foods with a meal to reduce the damage to your teeth
5. Change your toothbrush regularly – swap your brush every two to three months or sooner if you notice it becoming worn. Old brushes don’t clean your teeth effectively.